Saturday, March 1, 2014

MEMBERSHIP 140301

This note is the monthly update on NotTooHot membership. Retaining membership in NotTooHot requires two things:
  1. Treat others with respect - NO RULES JUST RESPECT
  2. Visit the Club at least once a month
NO RULES JUST RESPECT

During February there were no major incidents that I am aware of where a member treated another member or guest with disrespect. I do know of four minor incidents in which a comment was made in public that was inappropriate, but in three cases the person(s) who made the comment did not continue. In one case I did IM the two people involved and asked them to take their discussion to IM and they stopped the negative discussion in chat. 

VISIT THE CLUB ONCE A MONTH

I keep a spreadsheet (see here) with the details of NotTooHot membership. We started the month with 280 members (February 1) and now (March 1) have 308 members. The increase in membership is 28 for February. I expected the rate of growth to slow after our opening in January since Riddle and I had invited all our friends to join. The increase in February is entirely due to members inviting their friends.

If you look in the details of the spreadsheet, you will see that 15 people chose to leave the club on their own. I send a notice each day of what's going on, and I send group IMs. For some people that active nature is too much and they leave. Also, maybe they don't like the activities of the club. I don't get much feedback, but this is voting negatively with their feet. Of course, 265 members remained in the club, so for most the notices, group IMs and activities are okay. Using arithmetic I calculate that 43 (308-265) people joined the club in February. You can see who they are because they are marked in gray (non-member) in January and red or green in February.

I have marked each member in the spreadsheet with a green (visited), red (did not visit), gray (not a member) or blue mark (special request to remain). Each day I get an email from the visitor tracker. I check who has visited each day and mark each person with a green mark if she/he has visited. If you look at the spreadsheet, you can see that 201 members visited the club in February. These are the ones meeting the requirement to visit the Club once a month.

That means 107 members did not visit the club. Of the 107 non-visitors 7 joined in February. I won't apply the visit once a month requirement for them until March. That leaves 100 members who have been members of the Club since at least January. Monday, I am sending those 100 people the note reminding them about the requirement to visit the club to maintain membership. I am not sure what will happen with the 100 non-visiting members. I expect that some of them will choose not to visit in March and I will remove them from membership on April 1, while some will stop by and maintain membership.

The idea of this requirement is that over time, the membership of the club will become people who visit, people who like it here and people who care. It will take several months to work through this but I remain confident that this will build a club that you, the members, enjoy and you like spending your SL time in. The membership may decline for a few months but this is part of the weeding out of people who choose not to be active.

CLUB ACTIVITIES

You are starting to see that the Club has a lot of activities. Riddle and I are trying to make NotTooHot a place you can call home because you have fun. Of course, even active members do not like very activity. We have music (blues, rock, house, country, R&B, Latin, classical and more). We have live performers from the membership. We have dance shows. We have special events like trivia and Mardi Gras. We have exhibits. Over time we will continue to have these activities and the ones that get attendance will continue. Those that do not will die off. Part of the fun for me is to create new things so I don't intend for us to be static or dull.

You will find that I keep probing to find what members do and ask to show that to the Club. I think this is important for building mutual respect and is also fun. As the club approaches 500 members, I will ask that more and more events be Members Only (MO). This is to keep the events more lag free and friendly.

xxx
Nottoo

No comments: