Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Membership 140301

This note is the monthly update on NotTooHot membership. Retaining membership in NotTooHot requires two things:
  1. Treat others with respect - NO RULES JUST RESPECT
  2. Visit the Club at least once a month
NO RULES JUST RESPECT

During March there were no major incidents that I am aware of where a member treated another member or guest with disrespect. I do know of one minor incident in which a comment was made in public that was inappropriate, but in this case the person who made the comment did not continue.

VISIT THE CLUB ONCE A MONTH

I keep a spreadsheet (see here) with the summary of NotTooHot membership. We started the month with 308 members (March 1) and now (April 1) have 317 members. The net increase in membership is 9 for March. I expected the rate of growth to slow after our opening in January since Riddle and I had invited all our friends to join. The increase in March is entirely due to members inviting their friends.

Included in the details of the spreadsheet, you will see that 17 people chose to leave the club on their own. I send a notice each day of what's going on, and I send group IMs. For some people that active nature is too much and they leave. Also, maybe they don't like the activities of the club. I got some feedback from those who left and the reasons were:
  • Did not like at least one other Club member
  • Did not like the Club practices
  • Did not like the way scheduling/planning is done
Of course, 291 members remained in the club, so for most the notices, group IMs, activities, scheduling and membership are okay. Using arithmetic I calculate that 26 (317-291) people joined the club in March. 

Since we have now been open over two full months, it is time to apply the requirement that a member visit the club at least once per month. On March 2 I had identified that 107 members had not visited in February and sent a note reminding them of the requirement to visit once a month. There are now 50 members who have not visited for two months in a row. Today, I will send each of them this note:


===

Last month I sent you a note card about maintaining membership in NotTooHot. 

Unfortunately, you have not visited for a second month in a row. I realize that the Club is not of interest to everyone, and by not coming, you are indicating that the Club is not of interest to you. We are aiming for a Club with 500 active members and want to have space for them.

Tomorrow, I am removing you from the NotTooHot Group :-(

If i missed your attendance or you want to stay in the Group, please let me know. If you want to rejoin the Club, you will be added immediately to the Club if we are at fewer than 500 members, or placed on the waiting list if we have 500 or more members.

This is a note card I send to anyone who has not visited. Sorry it is a bit impersonal.

xxx
Nottoo


===

Tomorrow, I will remove from membership the people who do not respond or visit.

There are also 48 members who have not visited for one month. I will send them later today the note reminding them of the requirement to visit once a month. So, of the 317 current members, you can see we have only 219 (317-50-48) who are fully meeting the attendance requirement. Culling the membership is not an easy thing to do, but over time it means the club members will be people who like the Club and participate. I anticipate the number of club members to actually decline over the next several months.

CLUB ACTIVITIES

You are starting to see that the Club has a lot of activities. Riddle and I are trying to make NotTooHot a place you can call home because you have fun. Of course, even active members do not like very activity. We have music (blues, rock, house, country, R&B, Latin, classical and more). We have live performers from the membership. We have dance shows. We have special events like the Ides of March. We have exhibits. Over time we will continue to have these activities and the ones that get attendance will continue. Those that do not will die off. Part of the fun for me is to create new things so I don't intend for us to be static or dull.

With the visitor tracker I know the number of visitors to the Club each day. You can see that we have had a decline in daily attendance in March versus February. I do not know if this is a normal decline because the Club is not new any more or whether some of the events are just not of interest. Events come from the members and I am open to just about anything you want to do. The lack of attendance at events is the most worrisome thing for me. .

xxx
Nottoo

No comments: